CBD products are everywhere, whether it’s edibles, essential oils, vapes, and so on. This ever-popular cannabinoid is now taking over the world of beauty and skincare. There are now a plethora of CBD skin care products ranging from serums and sunscreens to lip balms and bath salts.
Grand View Research Inc estimates the global CBD skincare market will reach US$1.7 billion by 2025. So, it’s safe to say that CBD skincare products will not die anytime soon. If you are looking into trying CBD products for your skin, here is a guide on everything you need to know about CBD skincare.
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is the naturally-occurring compound in cannabis plants such as marijuana and hemp. Another primary ingredient found in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. Unlike THC, CBD does not induce psychoactive effects, so it won’t make you feel high.
Much research has shown the potential benefits of using CBD in alleviating various ailments and symptoms such as anxiety, inflammation, chronic pain, and insomnia. A study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease also found that the substance may help prevent cognitive issues. Moreover, a review from the Neurotherapeutics journal has shown that CBD may help treat substance use disorder.
Potential Risks and Side Effects of CBD Skincare Products
You do not need a prescription when buying CBD products, which may make you think such products are completely harmless. However, there are various risks and side effects that you should look out for when using CBD, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
When taken by mouth, CBD may damage your liver. However, no conclusive studies have yet been published regarding CBD’s effects when applied to the skin. For example, researchers are still trying to understand how much CBD gets absorbed through your skin.
Analyzing the side effects of CBD skincare products is also challenging because they contain other ingredients besides CBD. This means that side effects such as rash and irritation could be from other ingredients in the product, not CBD.
Nevertheless, the FDA warns that pregnant and breastfeeding women should not use CBD in all forms, whether it is an edible, tincture, capsule, or topical CBD. Currently, the FDA is looking into researching and studying CBD products’ safety, including food, cosmetics, and supplements.
Potential Benefits of Using CBD Skincare Products
CBD is known for its therapeutic properties since it offers antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. These benefits can help treat inflammatory skin conditions and common skin issues such as irritation and dryness. Check out more potential benefits of using CBD on the skin below:
- Reduce inflammation: CBD may help reduce the inflammation of breakouts, and because it regulates oil production, it may also help reduce breakouts in general.
- Reduce rosacea flare-ups: CBD has anti-inflammatory properties and may be able to help reduce the severity of rosacea flare-ups. Rosacea is a skin condition that causes flushing or blushing that may last weeks to months.
- Neutralize the damage caused by free radicals: CBD may be able to prevent the thinning of the skin by neutralizing the damage caused by free radicals.
- Calm eczema: CBD helps treat the irritation and inflammation caused by eczema, along with other chronic skin illnesses such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Reduce hormonal conditions: CBD is known to be an adaptogen, making it effective in reducing the effects of hormones and other chemicals produced in the body in response to stress.
How Come CBD Is Good for the Skin?
The two leading causes of skin issues like acne are inflammation and free radical damage. CBD may effectively treat acne since it reduces the skin’s oil production. Aside from acne, studies have also shown that CBD may help treat psoriasis and eczema. Here is how CBD affects your skin:
- Regulates oil production: A contributing factor to why people get acne is the overproduction of sebum. CBD is shown to have an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin’s sebaceous glands.
- Promotes skin hydration: CBD is shown to provide positive effects on dry skin by enhancing fat production in the sebaceous glands.
- Helps reduce inflammation: CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain, swelling, and irritation from past and existing breakouts from acne, eczema, or psoriasis.
Although research on the benefits of CBD is still in its early stages, there is likely no harm in using a topical CBD skincare product. Suppose you happen to have an adverse reaction from using a CBD-infused product. In that case, it may not be from the cannabis compound but from other chemical and botanical ingredients.
Are CBD Skincare Products Legal?
As per the 2018 Farm Bill, a CBD product containing no more than 0.3% THC is considered legal. When it comes to CBD beauty and skin care products, no laws have been passed against using them.
However, this does not mean that you can use any CBD products on your skin. Before doing so, consult a healthcare professional or a board-certified dermatologist for treatment options and diagnosis.
In addition, make sure you check the laws of your state before purchasing or using CBD products, especially if you will take them with you on your travels.
How to Choose the Best CBD Skincare Products
All CBD skincare products are formulated with CBD isolate, full-spectrum CBD oil, or broad-spectrum CBD oil. The key things to remember when differentiating these types of CBD oil are:
- Full-spectrum CBD oil has all the compounds from the hemp plant, including traces of THC.
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil contains a wide range of cannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes from the cannabis plant but is devoid of THC.
- CBD isolate consists of only pure CBD
According to CBD experts, CBD isolate is the best for the skin since it contains pure CBD and has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. When searching for the best CBD skin care products, look for those that mention CBD extract, cannabidiol, or hemp CBD on the label.
Make sure not to confuse CBD oil with hemp seed oil or cannabis Sativa seed oil since they are different. CBD oil is extracted from the flowers and leaves of the hemp plant, so it is finer and lighter than hemp seed oil, which tends to be greasy.
In addition, determine the amount of CBD in your chosen product. For example, if you are looking for a body lotion to help you manage pain and anxiety, you should look for a product with a high CBD percentage to ensure effectiveness.
Whatever type of CBD skincare products you choose, another essential factor you must consider is their quality. Be aware that over 60% of online CBD products are mislabeled, per the Journal of the American Medical Association. Thus, you must ensure that you only get the products from a legitimate and trusted brand, especially those that offer items tested in third-party labs.
How to Use CBD on Skin
CBD products are generally applied to the skin, but the application depends on the product type. For instance, serums, sprays, cleansers, and masks are used as you would on your regular skin care. However, the amount of the product will depend on the recommendation stated on the label.
Thus, read and understand the product label before putting CBD on your skin. The key is always to start slow and see how your skin reacts to the product. Before you use CBD skincare products, make sure you:
- Check the label: Since CBD currently has little regulation, there is a lot of greenwashing when it comes to the products. Read the ingredients and check for any claims that are too good to be true.
- Look for test results: A reliable and reputable brand will provide third-party lab test results for their products. Make sure to look for those lab test results to know what you put on your skin. These lab test results will show if the hemp was cultivated without harmful pesticides and other chemicals that would affect its healing compounds.
- Read the directions for use: Like most skin care products, CBD should stay on your skin for a while so your largest organ can absorb it and its healing benefits. Read the directions to see how long you should leave the product on your skin and what other things you should follow or avoid to maximize the benefits of CBD.
What Are the Best CBD Skin Care Products?
There is a plethora of CBD products in TribeTokes that will leave your skin feeling fresh no matter what skin texture and skin type you have. We have eye care, facial masks, and serum products available.
If you are ready to enter the world of CBD skincare, here are some of the effective and lab-tested CBD skincare products you can buy online:
CBD Eye Care
- CBD Hemp-Infused Eye Cream: Reduce eye wrinkles and puffiness by using CBD Hemp-infused eye cream, which consists of CBD, cocoa butter, aloe, avocado, and arnica. This eye cream is gentle for your skin. It smoothes, hydrates, brightens, and depuffs your eye area so you won’t wake up with dry eyes or experience eye puffiness
- Travel Size CBD Eye Cream: Are you always on the go and want an effective and convenient eye cream to add to your travel essentials? This travel-sized CBD eye cream will be your best buddy when it comes to managing eye puffiness and dark circles. It contains 100mg CBD and various incredible ingredients, such as aloe vera, avocado oil, beeswax, cocoa butter, and shea butter.
CBD Masks, Peels, and Toners
- CBD Rose + Goji Facial Toner: This toner reduces pores while keeping your skin hydrated and plump. It helps reduce inflammation as well as promote skin cell regeneration. Some of its key ingredients are hemp-derived CBD, organic rose distillate, green tea, white tea, witch hazel, niacinamide, goji fruit extract, and more.
- CBD Superfood Mask: Bring the benefits of kale and spinach to your skin using the 6-in-1 formulation of this CBD Superfood Mask. Leaving this product on your skin for 10 to 15 minutes will lead to softer, cleaner, and brighter skin. Some key product ingredients are CBD, kale extract, spinach leaf extract, lavender oil, aloe vera, fennel oil, green and white tea, olive, rosemary oil, and more.
- CBD Pumpkin Peel: Rejuvenize and revitalize your skin by using this facial peel, which helps peel away dead skin and stimulate cell renewal. CBD works its wonders by reducing inflammation. While the rest of the product ingredients stimulate cell turnover, smoothen skin, reduce pores, and lift discoloration. Some key ingredients are pumpkin enzymes, rosemary oil, lemon peel extract, ginger root, nutmeg, and CBD.
CBD Face Serums
- CBD Vitamin C & Ferulic Acid Super Serum: This product brightens skin complexion, firms fine lines, and protects your largest body organ from free radicals and sun damage. It also triggers the creation of elastin and collagen to help fade scars and dark spots. For smoother, firmer, and brighter skin, the product contains CBD, niacinamide, vitamin E, citric acid, ferulic acid, green and white tea, and lilac stem cells.
- Travel Size CBD Vitamin C & Ferulic Acid Super Serum: Ensure you won’t skip your daytime or nighttime routine by always having a travel-sized CBD serum in your pouch. This product contains 20% active vitamin C, which helps reduce wrinkles, protect your skin from sun damage, and brighten and hydrate your skin.
CBD Skincare Products FAQs
Does CBD make your skin better?
CBD’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help prevent and reduce the symptoms of common skin issues such as acne, eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis. CBD may also help in soothing skin and reducing the possibility of irritation. Thus, CBD can improve your skin, especially if it is sensitive.
Is CBD good for wrinkles?
Yes. The antioxidants in CBD help lessen the visible signs of aging skin. CBD skincare products may counteract free radical damage by reducing inflammation. As a result, you may diminish skin issues such as dullness and wrinkles by using effective and reliable CBD skincare items.
Can CBD be used on the face?
A wide range of CBD products for the skin is designed for the face. Examples include lip balm, face serum, facial mask, etc. Because of CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties, it may be effective in treating acne and psoriasis, which often affects the skin on the face.
Is CBD face cream good?
Applying CBD skincare products, such as face cream, eye serum, facial masks, and toner, on the face may benefit those dealing with skin conditions such as eczema, acne, psoriasis, inflammation, and so on. In addition, some face creams are great products to use to lessen the visible signs of skin aging, dullness, and ruddy skin tone.
Ready to Use CBD Skincare Products?
Check out TribeToke’s product pages and take your pick from a list of CBD skincare items available on our site. If you are not looking to purchase, why not get an opportunity to earn instead? Sign up as a TribeToke affiliate for a 15% commission on every product sold through your affiliate links.