As pet parents, we always want to ensure that our furry besties are comfortable and healthy. It hurts us to see them in pain or feeling anxious, especially as they get older. In the fast growing world of pet health supplements, CBD pet tinctures have sparked significant interest. In this blog post, we dive into the various benefits of CBD for dogs and cats, understand some lesser-known facts about how CBD helps pets, learn general use instructions, and uncover why wild salmon oil pairs so well with CBD in enhancing its therapeutic abilities (who knew?!).
Understanding CBD and its Benefits for Pets
Cannabidiol, popularly known as CBD, is a compound found in cannabis and hemp plants that does not get you high, but has several health benefits. It’s important to note that it is different from THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is the molecule in cannabis that does get you high, and should NOT be given to your pets.
Benefits of CBD for Dogs and Cats
Several studies suggest that CBD can provide an array of health benefits for pets, including:
- Pain Relief: CBD can help to manage pain in pets suffering from chronic conditions like arthritis.
- Anti-Inflammatory: CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that can help in reducing the symptoms of conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), or inflammation around the joints.
- Anxiety Reduction: CBD may help to reduce anxiety and stress in pets, which can be particularly helpful during thunderstorms, fireworks, or trips to the vet. Many pets also suffer from separation anxiety, especially if their owners work during the day, and some find that CBD can help.
- Appetite Stimulation: For pets who are finicky eaters or experiencing loss of appetite due to medical treatments, CBD may help stimulate their appetite.
A Few Lesser-Known Facts about CBD for Pets
While the general benefits of CBD for pets are relatively well known, there are some lesser-known facts about how it can aid our fluffy friends:
- CBD may help to slow the progression of neurodegenerative diseases, via reducing inflammation and oxidative stress.
- CBD can promote cardiovascular health by protecting the blood vessels, reducing heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress, and reducing damaged blood vessels.
- While more research is needed, some studies suggest that CBD might inhibit the growth of cancer cells and boost the immune system’s killer cells.
General Use Instructions for CBD Pet Tinctures
When introducing CBD to your pet’s regimen, it’s essential to start slowly and monitor your pet’s response. A general rule of thumb is to administer 2 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of your pet’s body weight, once or twice a day. However, this can vary depending on the specific product, the condition being treated, and the individual pet’s health. Always consult with a veterinarian before starting any new supplement regimen for your pet.
For our TribePETS CBD Tincture, we recommend the following Dose by Body Weight:
- 10 lbs: 2 mg of CBD per 12 hours
- 25 lbs: 5 mg of CBD per 12 hours
- 50 lbs: 10 mg of CBD per 12 hours
1 dropper is 10mg and ½ dropper is 5mg. You can easily add it to your pets’ food – just be careful, they love salmon so much they may not want to eat their food without it!
The Synergistic Power of CBD and Wild Salmon Oil
Wild salmon oil is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for many benefits (for humans too!). These include boosting the immune system, reducing inflammation, and supporting skin and coat health. When combined with CBD, the benefits are even more impressive.
The fatty acids in salmon oil can help increase the absorption of CBD in your pet’s digestive tract, making it even more bioavailable and effective. This is because CBD is a fat-soluble compound, meaning it’s absorbed into the body alongside fats – this is why our human tinctures have MCT oil as a base. Moreover, the combination of CBD and Omega-3 fatty acids can produce an enhanced anti-inflammatory effect, providing even more relief for pets with conditions such as arthritis or IBD.
CBD pet tinctures, especially when combined with a healthy base like wild salmon oil, can be a powerful addition to your pet’s wellness routine. As always, it’s crucial to consult with a veterinarian before starting any new supplement regimen. When used correctly, these natural supplements can provide significant health benefits for our beloved four-legged companions.
Remember, every pet is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. Here’s to discovering what helps your furry friend live their happiest, healthiest life!